Join the team at CAISE
The Center for Advancement of Informal Science Education (CAISE) is hiring a Project Manager, based in Washington, D.C., to provide meeting planning and administrative support to various projects. The position description is below. To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. CAISE is reviewing applications and conducting interviews on a rolling basis. If you know of someone who might be interested, please forward to your networks! Applications are due Friday July 6.
The Center for Advancement of Informal Science Education (CAISE) is dedicated to advancing the fields of informal science education (ISE) and science communication by supporting and building on the rich diversity of projects supported by the Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL) program of the National Science Foundation (NSF). Under a cooperative agreement with NSF, the Center provides resources to the practitioners, researchers, evaluators and other professionals across sectors that include science and visitor centers and museums, trans-media platforms, youth, citizen science and community programs, events, festivals and cafes cyberlearning and gaming, and a growing variety of other settings and environments.
The project’s leadership team consists of a principal investigator/project director who with staff is based at the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) headquarters in Washington, DC, co-principal investigators from three academic institutions and one evaluation firm and an external review board coordinated by Inverness Research.
CAISE activities include convening task forces, workshops and meetings, both face-to-face and online; collecting, curating and creating user-friendly online resources, including a centralized repository of projects and products funded by NSF and other agencies and foundations; tracking, participating in and documenting field-wide initiatives; and participating in a variety of communication, outreach and field-building efforts.
CAISE’s Project Manager will coordinate and provide leadership for a variety of activities, including the planning, implementation and documentation of the February 2019 NSF Advancing Informal STEM Learning (AISL) program Principal Investigator (PI) meeting. Other major projects include supporting and coordinating CAISE task force activities including phone/Zoom meetings, in-person convenings and related administration. Additional duties include managing all aspects of the NSF award including budgets, reports, reverse site visits and subcontracts, honoraria, invoices and travel for CAISE's co-principal investigators and External Review Board. The position involves approximately 30% administration, 30% event coordination, and 30% communication, with opportunities for professional development. The Project Manager reports directly to the Project Director and Principal Investigator.
Meeting and event planning:
- Schedule, facilitate and document all (weekly) meetings of CAISE co-principal investigators, (3) Task Forces, staff, ASTC leadership/staff and NSF/AISL program directors (as needed).
- Create and execute a timeline with milestones for planning, implementing and documenting the 2019 NSF AISL PI meeting, coordinating all aspects of logistics on-site in collaboration with ASTC leadership and contracted help.
- Work with CAISE staff, co-PIs and contracted evaluator to develop an evaluation and documentation plan for Principal Investigator and other meetings.
- Prepare agendas, coordinate preparatory materials, facilitate, and record outcomes and action items from CAISE staff, Co-PI and Task Force meetings on behalf of the Project Director
- Manage and track budget for overall project, PI meeting and convenings, subcontracts, contracts and honoraria, approving and submitting invoices to accounting as needed in a timely fashion
- Assist in the production of CAISE Task Force deliverables/products
- Review and revise CAISE's knowledge management and filing system as necessary in coordination with the Project Director and Communications/Community Manager
- Assist in facilitating awareness and coordination of CAISE activities with those of the Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) writ large
- Work with the Communications and Community Manager to plan and implement regular, appropriate contact and correspondence with NSF AISL-funded PIs
- Assist with the updating of social media channels and analysis of tracked data.
- Assist in production of content for InformalScience.org website, calendar and CAISE newsletter.
- Represent CAISE and ASTC at meetings, conferences, and events as required
- Assist with dissemination of AISL-funded work via webinars and online forums
- Other duties and as assigned, including additional projects, time permitting and as mutually agreed
Travel: Periodic travel (2-3 times per year) may be required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Education and Experience:
- Experience managing or coordinating multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience planning, convening, and documenting workshops, meetings or conferences
- Experience managing, reviewing and revising budgets
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience in a STEM education or science communication- related field preferred.
- Interest in informal STEM education, and/or science communication
- Familiarity with Google Drive applications, including Drive, Docs and Sheets
- Experience working in or with nonprofit organizations
- Experience using a web content management system such as Drupal
- Experience planning, conducting and archiving webinars
This is an exempt, full-time position that is open until filled and currently funded through August 2021. The salary range is $58,000- $62,000 per year, contingent on experience and qualifications. ASTC offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance and an employer-funded retirement plan. ASTC is an equal opportunity employer.
October 16, 2018
October 16, 2018
October 09, 2018
October 08, 2018
September 25, 2018