ASTC DIVERSITY AND LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT FELLOWS PROGRAM
In October 2001, ASTC’s Board launched a field-wide Equity and Diversity Initiative to attempt to bring balance in the disparity between the diversity of our society and the diversity of professional staff, audience, and board members of the science center field. The primary activity for addressing this disparity is the ASTC Diversity and Leadership Development Fellows Program, originally designed to support the professional growth and retention of professionals of color currently working in the field. In response to the ever-changing nature of equity and diversity issues, eligibility criteria have been expanded and now include science center professionals from ethnic/racial minority backgrounds; with disabilities; and who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or asexual (LGBTQIA). To date, more than 170 science center professionals from nearly 90 science centers and museums in the United States and Canada have participated in the program.
Eligibility: Individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply to the program
- Identifies with one or more of the following underrepresented groups: racial/ethnic minority, LGBTQIA, or person with a disability
- Works in an ASTC-member institution in Canada or the United States
- Has been employed at present institution full-time for at least one year
- Holds a mid-level management position (i.e., non-entry level)
- Demonstrates a desire to advance her/his career in the science center/museum field
- Expresses an interest in supporting equity and diversity in the science center/museum field
- NEW Fellows: Has not attended an ASTC Annual Conference in the past three years
- ALUMNI Fellows: Did not receive alumni fellowship in the previous year, and has/will participate as a speaker in an ASTC Annual Conference session.
New and Alumni Fellows will use the same online application portal at the “Apply Now!” button below.
Applications consist of
- Contact and demographic information
- Short essay questions
- Documents to upload including your resume, organizational chart, and signed Applicant and Institution Statement of Understanding
- (Optional) Supplementary materials that might include excerpts from publications, awards, program information, or letters of recommendation that demonstrate your dedication to the field and diversity work.
Pro Tips: Before completing your online application, draft your answers using this scratch pad; you may want to save a copy of this for your records.
- Click on the button below to begin your application.
- APPLY NOW!
- Select “Register” in top right corner.
- Create account by filling out information.
- Follow prompts to find and apply for 2018 Diversity Fellows program.
- Answer the eligibility question.
- Proceed to application portal to answer questions and upload all necessary materials by May 7.
Questions? Contact ASTC’s Ann Hernandez.
Deadline: Monday, May 7, at 11:00 p.m. ET
Selection: A panel of reviewers familiar with the science center profession and diversity issues will review the applications. The panel will select the winners based on evidence that the applicants are committed to promoting equity and diversity, have long-term visions of themselves in the science center field, and are at places in their careers where they will benefit from this experience. 2018 awards will be announced in June.
July 03, 2018
June 26, 2018
June 08, 2018
May 25, 2018
May 17, 2018