AAM 2018 Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo
Educate, Engage, Elevate! Museums on the Rise
Tell me and I forget.
Teach me and I remember.
Involve me and I learn.1
At the heart of every museum is a mission to stimulate creativity, impart knowledge, and provide context. Museums celebrate the ways that learning and innovative educational practices can bring people of all ages, ethnicities, and demographics together—especially during difficult times.
The 2018 American Alliance of Museums (AAM) Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo—May 6-9 in Phoenix, Arizona—is your opportunity to explore the many ways museums serve as hubs of community activation and learning. Connect with fellow museum professionals to share best practices, resources, and strategies to drive rich educational experiences and inclusive, lifelong learning.
Collaboration between the museum community and educational institutions is imperative and Arizona’s diverse museum community has a strong track record in this area. The AAM 2018 Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo is an ideal opportunity to focus on how to build and strengthen these important relationships and hear how it’s done in Arizona, across the U.S., and around the world.
Arizona is home to diverse populations, including 22 tribal nations, a range of immigrants, transplants,
and descendants of early settlers. The region has experienced much growth, change, and contention. It therefore serves as fertile ground to continue discussing persistent national challenges that impact the educational ecosystem—such as the criminal justice system and immigration policies—that were initially explored in St. Louis during AAM’s 2017 annual meeting.
We invite session proposers to consider the following questions:
- How are the educational missions of museums reflected in exhibitions, programs, collections, and research?
- How can museums better use their expertise, spaces, and collections to enable students to learn in new and different ways?
- How can museums specifically address issues of race, immigration, and the rights of indigenous peoples to ensure that all our populations are well-served?
- How are museums incorporating civically engaged education, 21st century learning, and global literacy into their work to activate audiences?
- How are museums educating and elevating multiple populations within their communities?
- How do museums create and sustain healthy workplaces for their staff that foster lifelong learning and professional development?
- What are the educational policies and principles that museums should be advocating for?
Apr 29 - May 2