2018 Forum on Philosophy, Engineering and Technology (fPET)
Call for Papers – Deadline, January 14, 2018.
The 2018 Forum on Philosophy, Engineering and Technology (fPET) welcomes abstract submissions. The mission of fPET is to encourage reflection on engineering, engineers, and technology; and to build bridges between existing organizations of philosophers, engineers and scholars in related fields.
fPET2018 will be May 30 - June 1, 2018 at the University of Maryland, College Park, in the greater Washington, DC area, USA.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER UPDATE: There will be four fPET 2018 keynote speakers, including:
- William Wimsatt (University of Minnesota, author of Re-Engineering Philosophy)
- Robyn Gatens (NASA HQ, Deputy Director of International Space Station Division)
- Daniel Sarewitz (Arizona State University, coauthor: The Techno-Human Condition)
- Malka Older (‘Engineering fiction’ guest of honor, author of the novel Infomocracy)
Abstracts (500 words max) are invited for submission in three tracks:
· Track 1: Philosophy of engineering and technology,
· Track 2: Ethics relating to engineering and technology, and
· Track 3: Interdisciplinary reflections on engineering practice.
In the interdisciplinary Track 3, fPET 2018 welcomes submissions such as a) the implications of philosophy of engineering for policy in Washington, DC and elsewhere; b) maintenance in engineering, including ethical and epistemological issues; c) modularity in engineering systems and design; and d) how science fiction and art can inform our understanding of engineering.
All submissions will be peer-reviewed by the program committee listed in the full CFP below. Abstracts accepted for presentation will be published on the fPET website. Podium presentations will be 30 minutes, including Q&A. Following the conference, we expect to invite selected papers for publication in an edited volume.
Submit abstracts electronically at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fpet2018 by January 14, 2018. 500 word maximum abstract length excludes citations.
Notification of acceptances will be sent by March 15, 2018.
Oct 29 - Nov 3
2018Call for Papers